The Government’s vision for diversification hinges on supporting Kittitians and Nevisians in developing home grown businesses with entrepreneurs being the heart and soul of the St Kitts and Nevis economy.
In 2009, the National Entrepreneurial Development Division (NEDD) has made significant strides over its years of existence. This is due to the fact that SMEs are drivers of economies, individuals becoming more self sufficient and the diminishing job availability.
The National Entrepreneurial Development Division (NEDD) is a Division focused on serving the needs of micro, small, and medium-size businesses. NEDD’s mandate is to provide technical support at the startup and development stages of Small Enterprises with the aim of creating a more diverse economy.
- Tourism related services (excluding hotels and restaurants)
- Information, communication and technology activities,
- Agriculture, forestry and related service activities,
- Arts and cultural activities,
- Construction activities,
- Entertainment activities,
- Fishing and Mariculture (including the operation of fish hatcheries and fish farms and service activities incidental to fishing
- Transport and storage,
- Personal care services,
- Sporting and recreational services
- Sanitation, sewage and refuse disposal services,
- Repair of personal and household goods and vehicles,
- Financial services(excluding qualified entities providing services to non-residents only , of St. Kitts and Nevis)
To date NEDD has assisted over 600 entrepreneurs in various technical areas. As of 2017, the Federation became an affiliate of the Small Business Development Centers (SBDC), which will allow the department to function more effective and efficiently.
NEDD is housed within the Ministry of International Trade, Industry, Commerce and Consumer Affairs where Mrs. Jasemin Weekes is the Permanent Secretary and Mr. Phillip Browne is the Director.
Working along Mr. Browne are four (4) officers, Mrs. Nikiesha McDowell (Office Assistant), Mrs. Daniele Richards (Marketing Officer), Mrs. Kyla Gibson-Dore (Business Development Officer) and Mr. Delwayne Delaney (Project Officer).